Application for Change of Study Programme

For Mainland Students

Important Notes

  1. Mainland students will have to seek approval from the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) for changing his/her study programme. The application will only be approved provided that the applicant continues to fulfill eligibility criteria for study.
  2. If a student did not seek approval from ImmD and need to extend his/her study or apply for internship approval, ImmD will not approve his/her extension of stay application or internship appointment in advance.
  3. Mainland students should submit the application to the Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL).
    *Non-local students with nationalities other than China or  Chinese nationals with permanent residency in overseas, should apply the student visa via the international application route.
    Please refer to  the Student Visa - International page for relevant application details.

  4. To submit an application for change of study programme, applicants should register a new account via a  Online Visa Application System and must fulfill the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check their application progress in the online application system. Please Click Here to download the user guide of the System.

Application Procedure

01 Applicant prepares the application documents
02 Applicant submits online application via Online Application System
03 ​Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL) receives and processes the online application documents
04 AAL submits the application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD)
05 The ImmD processes and approves the application
06 The ImmD sends the approval notification via email to the applicant while copying AAL

Processing Time

It may take 4 to 6 weeks for the whole application process.

List of Documents Required

  1. Application for Approval for Change of Study Programme (Download Here);
  2. Faculty / Department Confirmation Sheet on Student Status – For Change of Study Programme (Download Here);
    •  You have to approach the Faculty Office of your study programme to confirm your study status, and request the designated officer from the Faculty to sign on the prescribed form.
  3. A photocopy of the Official Programme Transfer Letter;
  4. A photocopy of the Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID);
  5. A photocopy of the HKU Student Card (UID);
  6. A photocopy of (1) the ‘Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao’ (EEP)【因私《往来港澳通行证》】, (2) the Visa/Entry permit label and (3) the latest landing slip.
    • The photocopy of the EEP (card version) must include the front and rear side;
    • Latest landing slip is issued by the ImmD stating that you are permitted to stay in HK as a student until DD/MM/YYYY

*If the applicant fails to provide a photocopy of HKID/UID/EEP due to first-time application or damage or loss of the documents, he/she should provide a ‘Declaration of Missing Document’ (Download Here)


All content on the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please contact us by email .

Last update: 28 February, 2020