Application for Extension of Stay
For Mainland Students
- All mainland students who need to extend their period of stay in Hong Kong due to expiry of visa/entry permit or deferment of study are required to apply extension of stay in Hong Kong from the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD) before their existing visa/entry permit expires.
- Mainland students who apply an extension of stay in Hong Kong for study purpose should request the Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL) to be their visa sponsor.
*Non-local students with nationalities other than China or Chinese nationals with permanent residency in overseas, should apply the student visa via the international application route.
Please refer to the Student Visa - International page for relevant application details.
- ImmD will normally accept application within 4 weeks before the expiry date of existing visa/entry permit. The applicant MUST be physically in Hong Kong at the time of submission and collection of new visa/entry permit label.
- AAL will only issue a supporting letter to the applicant. Applicants are required to submit the supporting letter, along with all other application documents to ImmD in person (Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section), to complete the application. For more information about the application procedures at ImmD, please visit the following website:
- To submit an application for extension of stay, applicants should register a new account via Online Visa Application System and must fulfill the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check their application progress in the online application system. Please Click Here to download the user guide of the System.
|01||Applicant prepares the application documents|
|02||Applicant submits online application via Online Application System|
|03||Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL) receives and processes the online application documents|
|04||AAL issues a supporting letter to the applicant|
|05||Applicant collects the supporting letter and submits the application documents, along with the supporting letter, to the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD)|
|06||The ImmD processes and approves the application|
|07||Applicant collects the new visa/entry permit label at ImmD|
It will normally take 2 to 3 weeks upon receipt of all necessary documents.
A non-refundable application fee of HK$230, which has to be paid to the ImmD directly.
List of Documents Required
1. Application for an Extension of Stay Form (ID91) (Download Here);
- ID91 form should directly be submitted to ImmD directly.
2. Student Visa Sponsorship Application - For Extension of Stay in Hong Kong (Download Here);
3. Faculty/Department Confirmation Sheet on Student Status – For Extension of Stay in Hong Kong (Download Here);
- You have to approach the Faculty Office of your study programme to confirm your study status, and request the designated officer from the Faculty to sign on the prescribed form.
4. A photocopy of the Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID);
5. A photocopy of the HKU Student Card (UID);
6. A photocopy of (1) the ‘Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao’ (EEP)【因私《往来港澳通行证》】, (2) the Visa/Entry permit label and (3) the latest landing slip.
- The photocopy of the EEP (card version) must include the front and rear side;
- Latest landing slip is issued by the ImmD stating that the applicant is permitted to stay in Hong Kong as a student until DD/MM/YYYY.
*If the applicant fails to provide the photocopy of HKID/UID/EEP due to first-time application or damage or loss of the documents, he/she should provide a ‘Declaration of Missing Document’ (Download Here)
After collecting the supporting letter from AAL, the applicant should submit in person the supporting letter, along with all other application documents to ImmD at “Quality Migrants and Mainland Residents Section, Immigration Department, 6/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong”. An applicant is advised to make an appointment through the Appointment Booking Services to submit the application to ImmD in order to save time..
External Links and Information
All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.
For enquiries, please contact us by email email@example.com.
Last update: 28 February, 2020