Application for Internship Approval

For Mainland Students

Important Notes

  1. Mainland students who do not have a valid No Objection Letter (NOL) allowing them to take up internship should seek approval from Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD).
    *Non-local students with nationalities other than China or  Chinese nationals with permanent residency in overseas, should apply the student visa via the international application route.
    Please refer to  the Student Visa - International page for relevant application details.

  2. According to the policies from the ImmD, non-local students of full-time local programmes at degree level or above and whose study period is not less than one academic year may take up internship subject to the following conditions:
    • The internships must be study/curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the institutions they are studying in; and
    • The duration of the internship is up to one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic programme, whichever is the shorter.
  3. Students who have already fulfilled all graduation requirements of the study programme are not allowed to take up internship. In addition, students of short term visiting programmes, summer programmes and exchange programmes (with study period less than one academic year) are not allowed to take up internship, part-time employment and summer employment.
  4. Application must be completed in advance before the internship employment starts.
  5. For any update or changes on the internship employment (such as employment start date, end date and employment duration), applicants are required to inform Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL) via and their Faculty office immediately for further handling.
  6. To submit an application for internship approval, applicants should register a new account via the Online Visa Application System and must fulfill the application requirements as set out. An applicant is able to check their application progress in the online application system. Please Click Here to download the user guide of the System.
  7. After the expiry of the existing NOL, applicants can apply again, if necessary, through the online visa application system for a new NOL.

Application Procedure

01 Applicant prepares the application documents
02 Applicant submits online application via Online Application System
03 ​Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL) receives and processes the online application documents
04 AAL submits the application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department (ImmD)
05 The ImmD processes and approves the application
06 The ImmD sends the approval notification via email to the applicant while copying AAL

Processing Time

It will normally take 4 - 6 weeks for the whole application process. Application must be completed in advance before the internship employment starts.

List of Documents Required

  1. Application for Internship Appointment (Download Here);
  2. A photocopy of supporting letter from Faculty;
    • The supporting letter should prove your internship is study related and will not affect your study.
  3. A photocopy of latest NOL;
  4. A photocopy of employment contract from employed company;
    • The photocopies of the employment contract must include the following details:
      (1) Applicant's name
      (2) Job title and description
      (3) Working period : DD/MM/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY
      (4) Working schedule: e.g. 9:00 - 18:00, Monday to Friday
      (5) Work location and contact phone numbers of the company
      (6) Salary and allowance offered by the company
      (7) Endorsement by both employer and employee
  5. A photocopy of the Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID);
  6. A photocopy of the HKU Student Card (UID);
  7. A photocopy of (1) the ‘Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao’ (EEP)【因私《往来港澳通行证》】, (2) the Visa/Entry permit label and (3) the latest landing slip.
    • The photocopy of the EEP (card version) must include the front and rear side;
    • Latest landing slip is issued by the ImmD stating that you are permitted to stay in HK as a student until DD/MM/YYYY

    *If the applicant fails to provide the photocopy of HKID/UID/EEP due to first-time application or damage or loss of the documents, he/she should provide a ‘Declaration of Missing Document’ (Download Here)


  1. AAL will not be responsible for delay due to late submission or incorrect information provided by the applicant.
  2. All content in the website may be updated at any time without prior notice.

For enquiries, please contact us by email

Last update:  28 February, 2020